Caffeine and its effects on high school students

Designed by Olivia McDermott

Caffeine is known to have many effects, both good and bad on students performance

Olivia McDermott, Writer

There are many different things high schoolers consume throughout the day. One big one is caffeine. Caffeine is offered through a variety of different beverages. High school students drink anything from coffee to carbonated energy drinks. Caffeine can have lasting effects on people both good and bad. Some rely on it while others simply drink it for personal satisfaction. 

Throughout OHS, it can be seen that many students drink some form of caffeine throughout the course of their day. Short term, caffeine can make one feel more awake and energized. Although this can seemingly help a student get through their day, caffeine can have harsh effects and in the long run is not good for your health and well being. Caffeine can affect a teenagers concentration and sleep schedule. This can then result in a delay of the maturing process of the brain. Caffeine can also be associated with nervousness, cardiovascular symptoms and sleep impairment. Like most things, caffeine is okay to drink to a certain extent. Experts recommend high schoolers consume no more than 100mg of caffeine a day.

In a recent survey taken at OHS, students on average drink 50 mg of caffeine per day. While this is under the recommended amount, it can still potentially lead to health issues. Many students bring popular caffeine beverages to school, such as Bubbl’r, Celsius and different kinds of coffee drinks. Caffeine also plays a social role in a high school student’s life. Coffee shops can be a place students gather to work on homework or to simply socialize. It is also known for students to grab a coffee on the way to school with friends. Caffeine can affect a student’s performance. Some positive effects it has is increased alertness, mood elevation and fewer cognitive failures. All of these can lead to better performance in the classroom. This can set students up for success and help them succeed in the classroom as well as in life. 

Alongside the positive effects caffeine offers, there are also negative effects. Caffeine can interfere with a person’s sleep schedule which can on the other hand, lead to poorer performance. Junior Olivia Vieths said, “There are both good and bad effects that come from students drinking caffeine.” Caffeine can be a good thing to enjoy as long as it is in moderation. Like most things, there are good and bad side effects that are important to be mindful of.